Choosing dog food for your pet is one of the biggest decisions you have to make as an owner, but it can be quite tricky, as there are so many dog food brands and homemade dog food recipes available out there today. Although dog food may not come in the same variety of shapes, colors, sizes, or flavors as human food, there are still plenty of options. Regardless of the type, you pick, choosing a meal that meets all of your dog’s nutritional demands should be the most crucial consideration in your decision.
1. Some best types of food for your dog’s health
The first type is dry food.
Dry dog food is the most cost-effective sort of commercial dog food, which is why many owners pick it for their pets. It also has a long shelf life and does not require refrigeration. Chewing crunchy dry food can also assist to keep your dog’s teeth healthy since it helps to decrease tartar accumulation. When selecting dry food, study the contents carefully and select a brand that utilizes nutritious food as the principal ingredient.
Secondly, canned food is one of the favorite foods of your pet.
Canned, or wet, food is popular with most dogs; it has a long shelf life and is simple to obtain in any store, but it may be costly. Although some owners believe it is well worth the money, not every type of commercially canned food has the protein that your dog needs. The main question is how much protein is digested. Indigestible protein is worthless to your dog since it passes through his system without being broken down into absorbable nutrients. Also, most canned food is about 75 percent water. The higher the water content, the less nutrient content, so the more food your dog must consume to get the nutritional value his body needs. If you decide to feed your dog canned food, it’s best to go with a kind that’s labeled “100% nutritionally complete”.
The third type we want to tell you about is Semi-moist.
Semi-moist foods are commercial dog foods shaped like pork chops, burgers, or other meaty delicacies. These diets are the least nutritious of all dog foods, and they contain a lot of artificial tastes and colors. They can be given to your dog as a treat on occasion, but they should not be considered a complete diet because they lack the nourishment that your dog requires.
Some dog owners cherish the option to completely regulate their dog’s nutrition. A home-cooked diet allows the owner to know exactly what is in everything her dog eats and to be assured that his nutritional demands are satisfied. Feeding your dog home-cooked food takes time and money, but many owners believe the additional effort is worth the peace of mind they obtain. If you opt to serve your dog a portion of home-cooked food, get well-versed on canine nutrition so you can ensure your dog is not missing out on any essential nutrients.
Raw meat, preferably with some bones (never cooked bones, only raw) and organs mixed throughout, is the foundation of a raw diet. Bones are a natural supply of phosphate and calcium. Many dogs benefit from this sort of diet because they have short intestinal tracts and powerful stomach acids, which make it simple for them to eat and digest raw food. Consult your veterinarian about the advantages and hazards of switching your dog to a raw diet.
2. Dog food brands vets recommended
If you’re looking for reputable companies whose products are generally well-regarded across the board, the following are the best dog food brands according to our research and veterinarians.
Dog food royal Canin
Dog owners often wonder if they are feeding their canine companions the right food. Especially if you are a first-time dog owner or have no knowledge about what constitutes a balanced diet for your dog, deciding on your dog’s meal can be a challenge.
Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Golden Retrievers 15 months and older. Exclusive kibble shape is designed specifically for a Golden Retriever’s straight muzzle and scissor bite to encourage chewing. The skin barrier is reinforced with essential nutrients to support healthy skin and help promote a shiny coat. It promotes heart health with taurine, EPA, and DHA for healthy cardiac function, as well as maintains ideal weight with precise calorie and fat content designed for Golden Retrievers.
Dog food Blue Buffalo
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula was created for the holistic health and well-being of adult dogs. All formulas start with real meat, whole grains, garden veggies, and fruit, plus added LifeSource Bits, a precise blend of nutrients that have been enhanced with a Super 7 package of antioxidant-rich ingredients. This Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe features delicious, protein-rich deboned chicken and other natural ingredients for a healthy meal your dog will love.
Dog food Pedigree
Pedigree allows your pet to enjoy a pleasant mealtime while also providing him with a comprehensive and balanced nutritional diet made with high-quality ingredients. Pedigree has been demonstrated to provide dogs with a shinier coat and other indicators of excellent health, thanks to studies conducted by the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition. Dogs are unique, and they may be harmed by human food. Prepared pet food provides proven nutrition, palatability, digestibility, safety, and convenience over home-cooked meals, which are sometimes missing or imbalanced in nutrients.
Dog food Orijen
Protein-rich dishes that fuel your pet the way nature intended can help them flourish. Because dogs are carnivores by nature, their Biologically Appropriate diet is rich in whole animal products. ORIJEN Original is made with 85 percent high-quality animal products, including free-range chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs, all of which are fresh or raw. ORIJEN is prepared using the most nutrient-dense, succulent sections of the prey to offer the nourishment dogs require, with rich inclusions of Wholeprey animals. As a consequence, your canine buddy will be eating a diet that is unrivaled. Refrigeration is the only way to keep our fresh ingredients fresh.
Dog food Purina
This product indicates that avoiding overfeeding of puppies may help their development. Maintaining ideal body conditions is key to encouraging proper growth in all puppies, especially large breeds. The indicated amounts are only a guideline. If your puppy becomes overweight, a reduction of your puppy’s daily food intake may be appropriate. You may wish to consult your veterinarian about a weight control program.
Dog food Victor
- The nutrient-dense recipe is made with premium-quality beef, chicken, pork, and fish meals
- Excellent for dogs that need high levels of quality protein, like growing puppies and pregnant or nursing females
- Provides sustained energy for sporting dogs and dogs with high physical demands
- Promotes healthy immune and digestive systems
- Fortified with vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, protein, and amino acids
- Made from gluten-free grains
- Created with our proven VPRO Blend of ingredients – an exclusive mix to promote superior digestibility, immune system function, and healthy skin and coat
One of our top-selling formulas, VICTOR Hi-Pro Plus is a nutrient-dense, multi-meat formula packed with high levels of quality protein to support the nutritional needs of growing puppies, pregnant and lactating females, and high-performing dogs. With scientifically advanced and nutritionally complete ingredients, this formula promotes sustained energy and healthy immune and digestive systems.
VICTOR Hi-Pro Plus for Dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages, except for the growth of large size dogs (70 lb. or more as an adult).
3. Some homemade dog food recipes
The first homemade dog food recipe
The second home-cooked dog food recipe
This DIY dog food made at home is filled with rich protein, vegetables, and healthy grains.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coconut oil – provides a variety of health benefits for dogs, such as improving the skin and coat, increasing energy, aiding digestion, and reducing allergic reactions, just to name a few. And just like us, your dog needs healthy fats in its diet.
- Ground turkey – will add necessary protein to your dog’s diet, as well as important vitamins and minerals.
- Veggies – this homemade dog food recipe uses a mix of zucchini, spinach, and carrots. All are safe for dogs and will provide your baby with a variety of nutrients.
- Turmeric – a dog-safe seasoning that also provides antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Egg – for extra protein and nutrients.
- Rice – a complex carb that provides energy and aids in gastrointestinal function.
Making homemade dog food is a cinch! Here’s a quick rundown of the process
- Brown the turkey. Heat a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Add in the coconut oil and turkey and sauté until it is browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the veggies. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the zucchini, spinach, carrots, and turmeric. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Mix in the egg. Turn off the heat and crack in the egg. Let the egg cook in the hot food, mix it around to ensure it is mixed through and cooked through.
- Stir in the rice. Add the rice and stir it in with the other ingredients until everything is well combined. Cool and serve.
The third home-cooked dog food recipe
- 8 ounces ground organic turkey thigh (boneless)
- 2 tbsp ground organic turkey organ meat (liver, gizzards, hearts)
- ¼ c finely grated organic veggies
- 1 tsp ground raw sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp organic coconut oil
- ½ tsp salmon oil
- 500 mg Calcium Citrate (*must include this!)
*Adjust ingredient measurements based on your dog’s weight and activity level. The amounts listed above are for 20 lb. dog who receives minimal exercise. A dog’s caloric needs can quadruple with intense exercise. Be sure to monitor your dog’s weight and adjust meal portions to meet caloric requirements.
- 40 lb. Dog: Above amounts x 2
- 60 lb. Dog: Above amounts x 3
- 80 lb. Dog: Above amounts x 4
Blanch veggies and set aside. Gently cook the ground turkey thigh and organ meat at a medium-low temperature. Remove from the burner when most of the meat has turned white, but some remain pinkish. Place blanched veggies in a food processor or clean coffee grinder and pulse until finely grated in appearance. Mix all ingredients together and serve after making sure the mixture has cooled down enough to eat.
It is essential to find the right diet for your four-legged friends to ensure that they get all the required nutrients for the healthy and happy life of your pet. Picking the best food brands, however, is not always simple with all of the brands on the market. Based on their age and health conditions, you must make a wise choice that serves your pets’ nutritional requirements.